For comfort and versatility, it’s tough to beat the classic hoodie. Whether you’re pulling on something over your workout clothes or layering for a busy day or errand-running, the hoodie is a cold weather staple. Popular among men and women of all ages, hoodies are a no-brainer addition to any custom apparel store.
With that said, adding a hoodie to your print on demand inventory isn’t necessarily simple or straightforward. There are a number of custom hoodie brands to choose from, each one offering different strengths. Three of the top options are Gildan, Lane 7, and Hanes. We’re pleased to provide all three to our merchants here at Gooten, and in this post we’ll highlight some of the key areas of differentiation.
Gildan vs. Lane 7 vs. Hanes: Comparing Print on Demand Hoodies
To begin with, here’s an overview of each of these three popular hoodie brands.
Since 1946, Gildan has been one of America’s top suppliers of high-quality apparel. Though initially a children’s clothing company, the business has long established itself as a major player in print on demand tees, hoodies, and other forms of athleisure wear.
So what should print on demand sellers know about Gildan’s hoodies? Consider a few important selling points.
- Gildan is famous for its Genuine Responsibility program, which emphasizes circularity and sustainability. For print on demand sellers looking to promote their environmental bona fides, Gildan is a great choice.
- Their hoodies are made with a combination of pre-shrunk cotton and polyester, providing a soft feel, a tight weave, and very little in the way of pilling.
- Gildan’s hoodies come in more than a dozen colors, a broader array than what you’ll find with other hoodie companies.
- Important note: Gildan makes heavy use of US cotton, but a lot of the actual manufacturing is done elsewhere.
Though Lane 7 probably doesn’t have quite the name recognition that Gildan does, they’re very much a top provider of premium hoodies. Here’s what you need to know about their products:
- Like Gildan, Lane 7 makes hoodies from a combination of cotton and polyester, ensuring the best possible balance of comfort and long-lasting durability.
- They offer a huge spectrum of colors, including camo and other patterned options to help your designs pop.
- Lane 7’s hoodies guarantee shrinkage of under five percent, which should provide some peace of mind to your print on demand customers who are worried about sizing.
- Lane 7 hoodies are primarily manufactured in Pakistan.
Lane 7 products have proven popular with our sellers, and we’re thrilled to offer these top-shelf hoodies as part of the Gooten catalog.
Last but not least is Hanes, a company that hardly needs introducing. Since 1900, Hanes has been one of the nation’s top providers of clothing for men, women, and children. The company is perhaps best-known for its T-shirt products, but we think their print on demand hoodies are just as great. Consider:
- Hanes has made some admirable commitments to sustainability, including a pledge to cut all single-use plastics by the year 2025.
- Hanes’ hoodies are about 50 percent cotton and 50 percent polyester, including some recycled polyester. Hanes offers low pilling and high-stitch density, but there may be a bit more shrinking than with the other hoodies on our list.
- Hanes has a smaller range of colors than the other two brands we’ve highlighted here.
- Most Hanes products are made in South or Central America.
We’re big fans of the entire Hanes product line, and are pleased to offer Hanes hoodies to our print on demand customers.
Gildan vs. Lane 7 vs. Hanes: Which Hoodie is Best for You?
Here is a more detailed comparison of 3 specific hoodies from the brands mentioned above. Depending on your brand and target market these are three tried and true print on demand friendly hoodies that will be a welcome addition to any assortment.
Gildan 18500 is a classic tubular fit, heavy blend 8 oz pullover hoodie crafted from 50% preshrunk cotton and 50% polyester. Spun yarn provides a softer feel, reduces pilling, and is a great printing surface. It features a double-lined hood with a matching drawstring for added comfort and a high-quality feel. The double-needle stitching adds durability, while the set-in sleeves and athletic rib knit cuffs with spandex make it ideal for sportswear. Gooten carries this model in 41 colors and sizes range from S to 5XL.
Hanes P170 midweight 7.8 oz fleece hoodie is a perfect blend of athletic style and sustainability, made with 50% cotton and 50% polyester with up to 5% recycled polyester from plastic bottles. It features an adjustable hood with self-colored woven cord metal grommets and tubular, classic knit for a cleaner, more streamlined appearance and durability. Patented, low-pill, high-stitch density PrintPro® XP fleece fabric will make your designs pop. Gooten carries this model in 41 colors and sizes range from S-5XL.
Lane 7 14001, may be the best bet for a more premium selection. This 8.25 oz midweight premium hoodie is spun from super soft, lofty 3-end fleece, 20% recycled polyester, and 80% cotton with 100% cotton face, which is ideal for DTG printing. It features a self-lined 3-panel hood for a better fit, dyed to match round drawcord and metal eyelets. Extra durability is ensured with double-needle topstitching on all seams including sideseams. Gooten carries this model in 15 colors and sizes range from S-3XL.
All of the hoodies above include a spacious kangaroo pocket. Some other factors to consider include color selection, sizing, sustainability, and of course price point.
Connect with Gooten
The Gooten team is happy to offer all three options to our print on demand partners, and we’re pleased to provide insight into the hoodies best-suited to your custom apparel needs. Reach out to us with any questions you may have about our custom hoodie selection.
Do you run an online store selling hoodies? Are you looking for a reliable print-on-demand provider? Contact us today to get the ball rolling.