Over the past several years, one of the biggest stories in tech is the meteoric rise of TikTok.
Not only is this short-form video platform one of the most popular social networks worldwide but it’s also proven to be one of the most influential for connecting with younger demographics.
And it’s become one of the go-to options for social commerce.
Want to learn how to approach younger generations?
TikTok represents an exciting new frontier for print on demand sellers looking to promote custom merch.
We’re proud to announce that Gooten now has our own TikTok account, and we’ve already found it to be a fruitful way to spread the word about our print on demand products.
We encourage our partners to check us out on TikTok and consider starting TikTok accounts of your own.
With the right strategy, you’ll find it a great way to expand your audience and increase your custom merch sales.
TikTok Merch Tips: Making the Most of This Social Commerce Platform
Ready to get started? Here are a few strategic guidelines.
TikTok as Social Commerce Platform for Custom Merch
Choose the Right Kind of Account
TikTok users can choose between having a personal account or a couple of different types of “pro” versions.
The personal account is excellent for individuals who primarily want to watch other people’s videos.
On the other hand, if you’re using TikTok as a social commerce platform, you’ll definitely want to go pro.
The two pro options are Creator and Business.
Creator accounts are ideal for growing an audience; at a certain juncture, you can monetize your TikTok views.
For selling products, though, we recommend the Business account, which will allow you to access advanced analytics and connect your TikTok profile to your eCommerce store.
Success on TikTok is all about consistent content creation.
If you’re unsure where to start, we recommend scrolling through the “For You” page to get a feel for what TikTok is like.
As for creating content to promote your custom products, here are our recommendations:
- Keep it light – TikTok is at its best when the content is silly, engaging, and easy to digest. Rather than focusing on a heavy-duty sales pitch, try to create the kind of fun and light-hearted content that people will want to watch and share.
- Engage quickly – TikTok videos can technically be a full 10 minutes long; in some situations, you may want to experiment with long-form content. If you don’t engage the viewer within a few seconds, though, it’s all too easy for them to keep scrolling.
- Post regularly – TikTok users want to see new content updates frequently. The best way to feed the dragon is to post one to three times daily.
- Encourage user-generated content – One of the best ways to promote your custom merch is to encourage other TikTok users to create videos in which they wear the merch. One suggestion: Start a challenge. Invite users to share videos of themselves doing something unique or silly while wearing your apparel. Make sure you create a custom hashtag to identify your challenge.
Don’t Neglect SEO
While TikTok should always be kept light and low-key, that doesn’t mean you can’t invest in some back-end strategy.
Some basic SEO principles can help your content be discovered in the TikTok algorithms. For example:
- Select the right keywords for video titles/descriptions.
- Select the appropriate hashtags.
- Make sure your content aligns with your audience’s needs and preferences.
Reach Out to Influencers
Another important way to promote your merch is by identifying the TikTok influencers who command a relevant audience.
Search for influencers who align with your niche and reach out to them with an offer to send some free swag their way.